Wednesday, February 10, 2021

DFI 2021 - Day 1 - A coach's perspective

Kia ora koutou,

This time last year I was starting the DFI as a participant. One DFI badge, two lockdowns, a switch to full time Education Programme Leader and a lot of Google Meets later I'm back as one of the coaches.

First things first, every member of my bubble was absolutely fantastic today and I'm so proud of them already. Lot's of great questions to keep me on my toes and some wonderful creations using Google Docs.


What stood out for me today is that you can never know everything. Even having done the DFI last year I still picked up lots of new tips and ideas today. Everyone is a teacher and everyone is a learner.

For example Dorothy's session on Google Groups made me think about how I use them with different people, especially when it comes to people replying to messages. Do they realise the messages have come through the Google Group and that everyone can see their replies? A conversation worth having.

Google Docs continues to impress and surprise. I'd never thought of sending a link to a specific heading in a Google Doc and I didn't realise that you could increase or decrease text size using command-shift-< or >

I think I'll try using Google Docs when I'm advertising the 2021 Ako Hiko Student Led Toolkits (check out last year's toolkits here #shamelessplug).

Can't wait for session two!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Phil for sharing your blog, I enjoyed reading it. I agree with what you said that we can never know everything especially at this age where technology is evolving at a very fast pace. But how we can keep updating ourselves time to time in our digital knowledge so that we are not left behind.
    Todays session was quiet informative.I also gained lots of new ideas and tips.We have been using google drive and google docs in our school for the past few year but today I learned about so many other tools, functions like explore, table contents, text style, voice typing that I had never used before.
    Thank you Phil for helping us out in todays session, you are a wonderful coach. Also thank you to all the educators in our team for your sharing and questions as it helped me to know more things I was unaware of. Looking forward to our next session.

    ReplyDelete