Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Minecraft For Education - Teacher Academy - Modules 6-11

Kia ora koutou,

Welcome back to more Minecraft adventures. This post covers units 6-11 of the Teacher Academy. My last post covers the first five units. If you have any questions about Minecraft then feel free to leave a comment, I may be able to answer...

These two questions were part of the course's reflection so I thought I'd talk a bit about them here:

  • What tools within the in-game world experience provided opportunity for learners to engage in ways that might not otherwise be possible?

I really enjoyed exploring the chemistry tutorial where you could create elements, combine them into compounds and also break up materials into their basic components. How cool that students can learn about these things in a safe environment where they don't have to worry about explosions and chemical spills?

I also found the concept of redstone (the power source in Minecraft - a bit like electricity) really interesting (as well as very frustrating at times). What an awesome way to introduce concepts of engineering to students.


My first lever and lamps (didn't mean to put them in the wall as well as the ceiling).


  • What 'out of game' materials are needed for the learners to use before or during the lesson?

I like how a lot of the lessons talked about having a paper plan/design and encouraged students to discuss their ideas before starting the build. It also highlighted how important it is to have a contract or agreement with students about expectations in Minecraft (just as you would have PB4L expectations for different areas of the school).


Me looking proud with the moat I built (this is the book and quill I mentioned last time).


Collaboration

Collaboration, creativity and communication are key to Minecraft. Students can start worlds and invite others to join. Teachers can also start worlds and host students. When creating worlds it is suggested that you encourage a 'productive struggle,' i.e. you give them just enough information to ensure they are scaffolded towards success without removing all challenges and difficulties.

Classroom Readiness

Here there were lots of great tips to make sure your lessons are smooth and successful:

- Plan in unstructured time to give students a chance to explore.
- Have a non-Minecraft alternative at the ready, just in case!
- Stick to creative mode even though students might be more familiar with survival mode (in creative mode students won't lose their work and they have infinite resources).
- Give strict time limits. Students will always want more time. Encourage them to meet their objectives first then try to perfect builds.
- Changing skins (the appearance of your character) is a good first activity so students feel like their character reflects their identity.
- Another good first lesson is just asking students to build a house. This will help you see what ability levels you have in the class.


Proof of finishing the last module (even though it says up next...)

Test Run 1:

So this was all great learning but it doesn't mean much if I didn't test it out! So thanks to the Kea team at Wesley Primary for letting me try out some of my new skills. I learnt one important lesson in this session: you can't host students who are in a different domain. Luckily the students were confident enough to create their own worlds and host each other.

Test Run 2:

Thanks to Room 13 at New Windsor for allowing me a second shot at the lesson. This time I was able to host students. I challenged them to build a structure with a specific volume. I built an example as a scaffold and provided the instructions via NPCs (non-player characters) and a poster.

In this lesson I learnt how important it is to give a strict time limit (I forgot to do this at the start). I also learnt how important it is to check the settings of a world. This came to my attention as someone started setting other students' builds on fire. I'm still not 100% sure on the settings but now I turn anything that sounds remotely dangerous or destructive off: fire spreads, TNT explodes, friendly fire, mob loot, activate cheats, mob griefing... (I also learnt to flick on 'always day' when learning. It's hard enough to build in daylight let alone in the pitch black).


Some students and their builds. I've not mastered taking screenshots while flying because hitting shift means you start dropping back down to earth.


Final Thought:

Something else that stood out to me during the course was how many links there are to our Cybersmart curriculum. Whether it's being a smart user by being able to navigate the game with the appropriate commands or developing smart relationships by collaborating with others online and offline.

I highly recommend looking into Minecraft. I've learnt a lot but feel like I'm only at the tip of the iceberg...

Ngā mihi

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment