Friday, March 27, 2020

DFI Session Four


      Distance learning at its finest today as we looked at 'tohatoha' or 'share.' I loved Dorothy's idea about your audience being the people who CHOOSE to listen to you. This resonated with me, especially in the current climate. The students who are choosing to access their learning via Google Sites and connecting with their teachers via Google Meet are the audience. So how do we reach and engage the students who are not choosing to check in? Or can't?

      The deep dives into MyMaps and Google Sheets were very interesting today. These are two areas that I'm not as confident with. It was then challenging to lead a group on Google Sheets but I feel much more confident now than I did at the start of the day in both areas.




      I used MyMaps to create this map of the schools in my cluster with some options for walking (I wish), riding or driving between them. I learnt how to add new layers, which had previously confused me, and change icons as well as calculating distances and areas. I'm also planning on creating a pepeha using MyMaps.

      I need to keep using Google Sheets to become more confident with what I've learnt. Turns out I knew some of the trickier parts like conditional formatting and filter views but had missed some basic tricks like resizing columns, date formatting and locking columns and rows. 

      I will definitely be using the Google Sheet activity where students create graphs to show their blogging activity. This will be especially interesting with the Summer Learning Journey and distance learning.


      And a huge shout out to Dorothy, Gerhard, the other facilitators and participants for making this unique learning experience happen! Ka pai!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment