Friday, March 6, 2020

DFI Session One

Kia ora. Today I was privileged to hear Dorothy Burt speak about the history of Manaiakalani and how the learn, create, share pedagogy was founded and has developed over the years. 

I will continue to use voice typing with my students and explore different ways to maximise this tool such as making sure students change the language settings. I may also try using Google Docs with headers set up so that students can use the same doc over multiple sessions.
Today I learnt more about Google Groups and will definitely use the tags and topic features to help find past communication more efficiency. Personally I will use the omnibox to find equivalent measures when cooking and definitions of words when reading. I'm excited to see how these saved seconds will add up over time.


Also I used Google Docs to make this poster to help me learn the Ako Hiko and Manaiakalani karakia.


2 comments:

  1. Hey there Phil, thanks for sharing. Agree it's been a useful day! After seeing your creation here - reckon you could track down the english translation of karakia? Looking forward to session 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,

    Thank you for your reflection.
    I tried using voice typing this week with my class for the first time, which was an experience... haha! Changing the language from US English was definitely an important step!

    I too found the Omnibox to be an exciting feature, and will look to see if it can save me some time too.

    Looking forward to learning alongside you.

    J

    ReplyDelete