Friday, March 20, 2020

DFI Session Three

Today we talked about create. It was interesting to reflect on why creativity stops being valued as students move form Kindergarten to primary and then high school. It also made me think about how often teachers have the opportunity to be genuinely creative? How can our use of technology free up enough time or teach us new tools to allow for greater teacher creativity?

I've always loved this quote from John Dewey. Definitely something to keep in mind when planning. I also like the reminder that there is no upper limit when we are creating, especially when we talk about differentiating and extending students. The doc that was created by Manaiakalani is a great reminder (sorry that I keep saying reminder) of the range of different create activities that are out there.

When we covered YouTube I learnt how to make my channel unlisted (can't be searched for) by going to:
 studio - settings - upload defaults
 then basic for visibility and advanced for disabling comments 
I also learnt how to embed playlist in a Google Site and how to stream live from my webcam.


Google Drawing is a tool I am very familiar with but I still learnt a few new tips like using the zoom and curve tools when tracing an image. Also I'd forgotten about the replace image function.

And my shortcut of the day:
ctrl + shift + arrows to send objects forwards or backwards.





It was really interesting listening to Dorothy explain how she plans and creates her Google Slides presentations. I love the idea of thinking about 'What's my story?' and if I can't fit the take home messages onto a post-it note then I need to rethink my presentation.

Then while playing with Google Slides I got more confident creating my own slide decks (with the help of Slides Carnival) by clicking on:
slide - edit master - attribute
I can now edit slides other people have made (and of course give them credit). And I was able to create an animation and pick-a-path style quiz...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Phil
    I like your animation that's cool, I'm guessing you hit the surf yourself a few times and have had the urge to text? ;) Looks like you're pretty good with Google Draw too!
    Looking forward to connecting with you at tomorrow's DFI online.

    ReplyDelete